PGY2 Pharmacy Fellow
Valley Children's Hospital offers a one-year-long intensive care fellowship designed to provide the pharmacist with training in the focused area of critical care pediatric clinical pharmacy. In addition to gaining a comprehensive understanding of the global aspects of pharmaceutical care in the ICU, the fellowship also emphasizes an intensive research project. For this component, the fellow will work closely with the intensive care physicians to develop and complete a research study suitable for presentation and publication.
Period of Appointment: Twelve months
Health Benefits: Fellow entitled to full health benefits. Plans to be selected upon arrival.
Weekend Staffing: Fellow required to staff every other weekend once distribution training is complete.
Responsibilities Include (but not limited to):
- Attend intensive care unit rounds and provide drug information.
- Identify a research project related to intensive care, propose it to the hospital Investigational Review Board, carry out the study, and ultimately present the study.
- Actively participate in ongoing intensive care research studies as well as any studies initiated during the fellowship.
- Assist in pharmacy and therapeutics activities that relate to intensive care therapeutics.
- Provide distributive support (staffing and dispensing)
- Distribution/Staffing (required)
- Neonatal Intensive Care (required)
- Pediatric Intensive Care (required)
- Administration (required)
- Poison Center (elective)
- Emergency Department (elective)
- Infectious Diseases (elective)
Application Requirements (due before the second Monday of January):
If you would like to apply to this program, it is NOT through the ASHP PhORCAS™ (Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application) system and it is NOT in the Match. Please complete/submit these standard application requirements:
- Applicants must complete the Valley Children’s application for employment
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of intent describing reasons for seeking a pediatric critical care PGY2 at Valley Children’s Hospital
- Three professional letters of recommendation (LOR) from preceptors who can speak of your clinical and/or professional skills
- Official transcripts sent from your school of pharmacy to:
- Wenee Liu Lopez, Pharm.D.
Valley Children’s Hospital
9300 Valley Children’s Place
Madera, CA 93636
- Items #2 and #3 above can be sent directly via email to email@example.com.
- Items #4 and #5 must be received in the pharmacy department by the second Monday of January (Preceptors can contact Wenee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if alternative arrangements required for LOR)
Once we receive your application materials, we will be ranking candidates and offering online and then on-site interviews (dates to be determined). On-site interviews are approximately 6 hours in duration and include a hospital tour, interviews with preceptors, lunch and a 10 minute PowerPoint presentation on a pediatric topic.
2019-2020 Pharmacy Fellow
Kc Yovino, PharmD
The only resident in this class from outside California, Dr. Yovino grew up in Lakeview, Oregon and received her Bachelor of Science degree in microbiology with a minor in chemistry at Oregon State University. She went on to complete her post-graduate training at California Health Sciences University, where she was a part of the inaugural class for the College of Pharmacy. She completed her PGY-1 residency here at Valley Children’s Hospital. Her professional interests include critical care, pain management and general medicine. In her spare time, she enjoys catching a baseball game, finding new food places in Fresno and spending time with family and friends. Dr. Yovino is excited for the opportunity to continue her training at Valley Children’s Hospital.
Past Pharmacy Fellows
Questions regarding the programs can be directed to:
Wenee Liu Lopez, Pharm.D.
Pharmacy Residency Director
Pharmacy Student Coordinator
Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist
(559) 353 5522
(559) 353 5515 (fax)