Valley Children’s depends upon reliable and dedicated volunteers to ensure the best possible care for our patients and their families. We ask that volunteers commit to the requirements and expectations listed below to ensure the safety and well-being of our patients and families.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Valley Children's. Volunteer applications are currently closed. Please check back next month for further updates!
General Requirements for Volunteers
- Must be at least 14 years old and have completed the 8th grade (students 17 years old and under will need to provide a copy of their transcript to document a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0)
- Able to communicate well in English (second language skills are highly desirable)
- Required to have natural nails if assigned to a patient care area. Artificial nails, acrylics or other artificial materials applied over the nails are prohibited in the hospital for individuals who serve in direct patient care roles. The Hospital follows the guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control.
Health Screening Clearance
- Written documentation of tuberculosis (TB) health screening completed within the last 12 months. The Hospital requires a two-step TB test process and will provide the second TB skin test on-site at no cost to you.
- Written documentation of vaccinations or immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), influenza (seasonal), varicella ("chicken pox") and pertussis (Tdap). Individuals not able to provide proof of immunity for any or all of the above will be required to have a titer (blood draw) completed on site to assess/check for immunity. This titer may also be done at your physician’s office to expedite the entry process.
- Compliance with annual flu vaccination requirements.
- A urine drug specimen will be collected for both adult and minor volunteers. Photo identification will be required at the time of appointment. Please know that our drug screen includes testing for marijuana and THC products. Although recreational marijuana use is legal in California, it is not legal under federal law. As a hospital, Valley Children's is governed by federal guidelines, which preclude marijuana use by staff and volunteers. If you test positive for THC or marijuana, you will not be able to volunteer at Valley Children's.
Minor Volunteers: You must submit a birth certificate, court order, adoption decree or notarized power of attorney along with your application to ascertain legal parental permission for program participation and health screening processes. A parent or guardian will be required to attend all health screening appointments.
Prior to Volunteering
- Complete all health screening requirements
- Complete a new volunteer orientation packet
- Some roles will require additional department-specific training
- Receive health-screening clearance and meet with a volunteer coordinator before attending an orientation
- Purchase a volunteer apron for $20
Completion of health screening and meeting with the volunteer coordinator does not guarantee acceptance into the volunteer services program.