Big Hearts for Little Hands Volunteer Guidelines
The Big Hearts for Little Hands program is currently on hold due to COVID-19 safety precautions in place. We hope to resume the program soon. Thank you for your understanding. In the meantime, we invite you to consider donating needed new items to the Child Life Department. Click here to learn more.
Before you submit an interest form for the Big Hearts for Little Hands program, please review our visitor and donation polices below.
Big Hearts for Little Hands Program Guidelines
- All Big Hearts for Little Hands visits and donations are scheduled at Valley Children’s main hospital campus in Madera.
- The minimum age of a guest in the playroom or classroom is 15 years or older.
- The minimum age for performers is 13 years and older and only performers should attend. Groups are limited to entertainers only (please no children or family of entertainers).
- At least one adult over the age of 18 must accompany all Big Hearts visitors.
- Visits are not designed to be part of the Job Shadow program.
- Big Hearts visits are not intended to be donation drop-offs. If you would like to donate items outside of your Big Hearts visit, please understand that donations must be brand new and drop-off only; passing out donations to patient rooms will not be permitted. Review our donation guidelines.
- Scheduled volunteers with the Big Hearts for Little Hands program must arrive prepared with all materials. Groups or individuals that arrive unprepared may be asked to reschedule.
- Please understand that we are unable to accept handmade cards for patients.
- Groups should come prepared with all the items they will need for the visit.
- The content of any performance or activity must be religiously and politically neutral.
- Group size is limited to five individuals in the Child Life Playroom and Classroom at any one time.
- Performance groups will be booked into the Guild Hall, and visits are subject to availability.
- Performances should last no longer than 30 minutes.
- Individuals are also welcome. Community Service hours for class credit are limited to two hours. We do not provide written documentation for service hours under the Big Hearts for Little Hands Program.
- All entertainers must be screened and approved in advance by the Child Life Department.
- Infection Control guidelines must be followed. Hospitalized children are particularly vulnerable to common illnesses such as colds and flus. If any symptoms are present among your group members, please re-schedule your event or ask the affected person(s) not to participate.
- If your group is not prepared with the confirmed activity at the time of your visit, your group will be asked to reschedule your visit.
- If you would like to donate items outside of your visit, please understand that due to the health and safety of our patients, donations must be brand new and drop-off only. Passing out donations to patient rooms will not be permitted. Review our donation guidelines.
- Please note that, although rare, there may be an occasion when an event must be rescheduled or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation if such an event does arise.
To Request a Big Hearts for Little Hands Visit
- Complete the Big Hearts for Little Hands request to visit form.
- Visits are reviewed every Tuesday and Thursday in the order received.
- When your visit is approved, you will receive written confirmation, Group Guidelines to share with your group and the Confidentiality Agreement. On the day of your visit, you will need to bring your confirmation letter and a signed Confidentiality Agreement for each member of your group.