Big Hearts for Little Hands Volunteer Guidelines
If you are interested in donating needed new items to the Child Life Department, click here to learn more.
Before you submit an interest form for the Big Hearts for Little Hands program, please review our visitor and donation polices below.
Big Hearts for Little Hands Program Guidelines
Please be advised: Infection Control guidelines must be followed. Hospitalized children are particularly vulnerable to common illnesses such as colds and flus. If any symptoms are present among your group members, please reschedule your event or ask the affect person(s) not to participate. Masks must be worn at all times within the hospital.
- All Big Hearts for Little Hands visits and donations are scheduled at Valley Children’s main hospital campus in Madera.
- All entertainers must be screened and approved in advance by the Child Life Department.
- The minimum age of a guest in the playroom or classroom is 15 years or older. (At least one adult over the age of 18 must accompany all Big Hearts visitors.)
- The minimum age for performers is 13 years and older and only performers should attend. (Groups are limited to entertainers only; please no children or family of entertainers.)
- Big Hearts visits are not intended to be donation drop-offs. If you would like to donate items outside of your Big Hearts visit, please understand that donations must be brand new and drop-off only; passing out donations to patient rooms will not be permitted. Please review our donation guidelines.
- Big Heart visitors must sign a "Confidentiality Agreement for Non-Employees."
- Performance groups will be booked into the Guilds Hall of Fame and visits are subject to availability.
- The content of any performance or activity must be religiously and politically neutral.
- Group size is limited to five individuals in the Child Life Playroom and Classroom at any one time.
- Groups should come prepared with all the items they will need for the visit. Groups or individuals that arrive unprepared may be asked to reschedule.
- Community Service hours for class credit are limited to two hours.
- We do not provide written documentation for service hours under the Big Hearts for Little Hands Program.
Please note that, although rare, there may be an occasion when an event must be rescheduled or canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation if such an event does arise.
To Request a Big Hearts for Little Hands Visit
- Complete the Big Hearts for Little Hands request to visit form.
- Visits are reviewed every week and in the order they are received. Please feel free to check in on the status of your request by contacting us directly at 559-353-5882.
- When your visit is approved, you will receive an email confirmation, Group Guidelines to share with your group and the Confidentiality Agreement. On the day of your visit, you will need to bring your confirmation letter and a signed Confidentiality Agreement for each member of your group.