Big Hearts for Little Hands
Patients look forward to the many special events organized by volunteers from high schools, churches, retirement and nursing homes, scouting troops, corporations and professional groups and societies. The Child Life Big Hearts for Little Hands Program was designed for infrequent volunteer visitors. This program offers groups or individuals an opportunity to volunteer three times a year.
PLEASE NOTE: The minimum age requirement for groups or visits is 15 and older. These requested visits are not designed to be part of the Job Shadow program.
We have included some ideas for you to consider when scheduling your Big Hearts for Little Hands visit.
Event Ideas: Use your creative genius – the sky is the limit!
- Host a Bingo game (prizes welcome)
- Entertain us! (musical, theatricial or dance performances)
- Share a special skill (arts & crafts, drawing, etc.)
- Host a small carnival with fun booths and games
- Donate items from our “Additional Ways to Help” list
We also love to hear your own creative ideas for events. Scheduled volunteers with the Big Hearts for Little Hands program must arrive prepared with all materials. Groups or individuals that arrive unprepared may be asked to reschedule.
To Request a Visit
- Complete the Big Hearts for Little Hands request to visit form.
- Visits are reviewed every Tuesday and Thursday in the order received.
- When your visit is approved, you will receive written confirmation, Group Guidelines to share with your group, and the Confidentiality Agreement. On the day of your visit, you will need to bring your confirmation letter and a signed Confidentiality Agreement for each member of your group.
- Groups should come prepared with all the items they will need for the visit.
- The content of any performance or activity must be religiously and politically neutral.
- Group size is limited to five individuals in the Child Life Playroom and Classroom at any one time.
- Performance groups will be booked into the Guild Hall, and visits are subject to availability.
- Performances should last no longer than 30 minutes.
- The minimum age of a guest in the playroom or classroom is 15 years or older.
- There is no minimum age for performances, but only performers should attend.
- At least one adult over the age of 18 must accompany all Big Hearts visitors.
- Individuals are also welcome. Community Service hours for class credit are limited to two hours. We do not provide written documentation for service hours under the Big Hearts for Little Hands Program.
Please note that, although rare, there may be an occasion when an event must be rescheduled or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation if such an event does arise.
Contact Big Hearts for Little Hands