It is important to note that there are differences between a seizure alert dog and a seizure response dog.
A seizure alert dog is a type of certified service dog that is trained to alert their owner that a seizure is about to happen. The animal is then able to find help or assist its owner during and/or after a seizure. Recent studies show that some dogs can detect a seizure “odor” (chemical body change) prior to and during a seizure, and this “odor” is what the dogs are reacting to.
A seizure response dog is dog trained to instead respond to a seizure and perform tasks such as:
- Staying close to its owner during a seizure to prevent injuries
- Helping a person gently to the ground
- Alerting a family member or emergency response system that a seizure has happened
- Fetching a telephone or activating an alert device
- Opening a door or turning on a light