Inpatient Pharmacy Services at Valley Children's
The Inpatient Pharmacy Department at Valley Children’s utilizes evidence-based therapeutic guidelines and emerging technologies to provide excellent pharmaceutical care to our patients. Our highly trained pharmacists work side-by-side with physicians and nurses to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Our pharmacists are readily available at the bedside or by phone 24 hours a day.
- Review pediatric-specific patient drug regimens for appropriateness, any potential drug interactions, or incompatibilities
- Interdisciplinary rounding on acute care and critical care services
- Pharmacy driven protocols such as antibiotics monitoring, IV to oral administration and renal dosing
- Medication reconciliation
- Provision of drug information to health professionals and patients
- Extemporaneous oral preparations for non-commercially available liquids
- In-house parenteral nutrition (PN) services
- Investigational drug oversight
- Partners with Children’s Oncology Group to improve the outcome for all children with cancer
- All of our pharmacists hold Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degrees and many have completed pharmacy residencies and fellowships or are board certified (BCOP, BCPS, BCPPS, CNSC)
- Pharmacists have specialized training in areas such as oncology, pharmacotherapy, infectious disease, emergency medicine, pediatric intensive care, neonatal intensive care, ambulatory care and general pediatrics
Valley Children’s utilizes state-of-the-art technology to ensure patient safety through the use of the following:
- A fully automated robotic system that aids in the dispensing of medication utilizing bar code technology
- Bedside medication verification
- Automated dispensing cabinets
- Robotic sterile compounding and barcode scanning
- Gravimetric and volumetric IV verification and barcode scanning
- Parenteral nutrition (PN) sterile compounding
- Computerized physician order entry (CPOE) for inpatient medications
- Electronic prescribing for outpatient medications
- Pharmacy Interventions: Over 55,000 annually
- Doses Dispensed: More than 1 million per year
- Staff Size: Over 100
- Day Shift: 14 pharmacists, 18 technicians
- Night Shift: 2 pharmacists, 2 technicians
- Inpatient Pharmacy: Called the Central Pharmacy, the inpatient pharmacy prepares and dispenses the vast majority of the medications for our patients. Pharmacists review drug orders and are available for drug information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Pharmacy: Located on the second floor, the ICU pharmacy serves the PICU and NICU. Our ICU pharmacists provide pharmaceutical services for our critically ill patients.
- Oncology Pharmacy: Located in the Craycroft Cancer Center, the oncology pharmacy reviews chemotherapy orders and prepares chemotherapy medications.
- Garden Pharmacy: Located on the garden level near the Starship Apollo and Starship Discovery Inpatient Units, pharmacists are available to provide clinical rounding services with medical teams.
- Starship Voyager Pharmacy: Located on the first level, the Voyager pharmacy serves both Starship Explorer and Starship Voyager inpatient units. Pharmacists are available to provide clinical services rounding with medical teams.
- Emergency Department (ED): On site pharmacist available in our ED to assist with trauma and other acute medication needs of emergency patients.
- Parenteral Nutrition (PN): Located on the second level, pharmacists and technicians monitor and compound sterile parenteral products for patients throughout the hospital.
- Information Technology (IT): Located on the second level, our IT pharmacists support and manage the various technology that is utilized by the department and the hospital to ensure the most optimum patient safety.
Walgreens Pharmacy on Valley Children's Main Campus in Madera
Valley Children’s Hospital has partnered with Walgreens Pharmacy to serve your prescription, health and wellness products and health information needs at our main hospital campus in Madera. Click here to learn more about outpatient pharmacy services at Valley Children's.