The Division of Anesthesiology at Valley Children’s Hospital specializes in providing sedation and anesthesia services for infants, children and adolescents. We perform more than 19,000 anesthetic cases per year. Valley Children’s pediatric anesthesiology services are available 24 hours for patients receiving inpatient, outpatient and emergency care. Our board-certified physicians each specialize in anesthesiology for kids. Our team plays a key role in ensuring quality and patient safety at our anesthetizing locations and in our operation rooms, so that our patients’ experience is safe, comfortable and as painless as possible.
Services Offered & Conditions Treated
- Moderate sedation
- Deep sedation
- General anesthesia
- Providing anesthesia care for the potentially complex child who is critically ill or developmentally delayed
- Managing the airway, breathing, heart rate and blood pressure of children under anesthesia, including blood transfusion and fluid management
- Managing pain medication and techniques after complex or painful surgery
- Administering medication in doses appropriate for each individual pediatric patient based on the child’s health, medical condition and the type of surgery
- Adjusting methodology and technique to meet a child’s unique medical needs
- Providing special pain blocks around nerves to help with pain management after surgery
- Utilizing different kinds of medications during and after surgery to decrease opiate medication use
Benefits of our Anesthesiology Services:
- We specialize in pediatrics, working only with children
- We utilize an Anesthesiologist in Charge (AIC) who collaborates with physicians, subspecialists and nurses to ensure the right people are available at all times, and plans surgical times based on the patient's needs
- We are one of the few pediatric hospitals in the nation to dedicate an anesthesiologist to managing the post recovery unit and focus only on patients recovering from anesthesia
Our anesthesiologists work with many doctors and departments throughout the hospital to throroughly prepare patients and families for everything leading up to surgery, during surgery and after.
Surgeries and Surgical Procedures:
Our anesthesiologists provide anesthesia for all surgeries, including regional anesthesia or pain blocks for orthopedic, abdominal, urologic and plastic surgery procedures.
We provide anesthesia services for various radiologic procedures including:
- CT Scan
Our pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists provide comprehensive anesthesia services for patients of the Willson Heart Center, including:
We provide sedation care for minor procedures including:
- VCUGs (voiding cystourethrograms)
- PICC line placements (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters)
- Lumbar punctures
- Tissue biopsies
- BAERs (brain auditory evoked responses)
- EEGs (electroencephalograms)
Our anesthesiologists run Acute Pain Service, where we manage pain pumps and pain catheters, such as epidurals and nerve catheters.