Current Resident Research Projects
All residents will complete a scholarly activity project prior to the end of residency. During the PGY1 year, the introductory scholarly activity curriculum is built into the Community Pediatrics rotation. During the PGY2 year, residents have protected research time during certain blocks to complete the bulk of their project in preparation for presentation during the PGY3 year. A research curriculum is woven throughout the second and third year didactic sessions. Resident scholarly activity includes projects in advocacy, curriculum development, clinical research and quality improvement.
Examples of current resident projects include:
- Abdelmisseh M, Naeem F, Veesenmeyer A, Siongco A, Rongkavilit C. A California Infant With Insidious Left Wrist Swelling. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018;37(6):615.
- R Gonzalez, K Fernandez, K Au Yeung, P Parmar “Hodgkin Lymphoma Related Vanishing Bile Duct Syndrome Cholestasis Resolved After Chemotherapy” Poster abstract accepted American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology conference May 2020
- R Gonzalez, K Au Yeung. Anorectal Malformations in Hispanic Children in California’s San Joaquin Valley. A Preliminary Investigation of Incidence and Discussion of Impact on Medically Underserved Families. NASPGHAN 2020 Annual Meeting. November 6, 2020
- Parmar P, Perez M, Carmichael J, Kochhar A. Ultra Rapid whole Genome sequencing impacts patient care in a critically ill child. 2020 Frontiers in Pediatric Genomics Conference, Rady Children's Hospital, San Diego, Virtual Conference, Sept 24-25, 2020.
- D Orellana, K Au Yeung. Plant-based Enteral Nutrition Tolerance and Benefit in Pediatric Crohn's Disease: A Case Series. ASPEN Nutrition Science and Practice Conference 2020
- N Webb, K Nguyen. Did you see that ‘sickler’ from the outside hospital? Exploring the link between stigmatizing language and implicit bias” Workshop accepted PAS May 2020
- Platter, L. Urbano, G. Roberto, L. Sudhakar, R. Tablizo, M The Use Of Auto-titrating Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (autoCpap) For Obstructive Sleep Apnea In Children With Neurological Disorders AASM Sleep Conference June 2020
- Emamian A, Santi D, Appu M, Tzeng W., Fernandez K. When Agitation, Hallucinations and Paranoia Mean More than Psychosis: The Case of an Ovarian Teratoma. AAP National Conference & Exhibition Section on Pediatric Trainees. August 2020