Valley Children’s is the only hospital in Central California to be named a level 4 epilepsy center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC). Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
Our epilepsy center provides neurodiagnostic evaluations, as well as medical, neuropsychological and psychosocial services. We also offer evaluation for epilepsy surgery, implantation of the vagus nerve stimulator and various epilepsy surgical options.
Our board-certified neurologists, epileptologists, neurosurgeons and neuropsychologists work collaboratively to ensure a high-level, compassionate, coordinated care for infants, children and adolescents with epilepsy. Our neurosurgeons use sophisticated equipment and technology including microsurgery, neuro-endoscopy, lasers and minimally invasive neurosurgical techniques and intra-operative image-guided navigation systems to provide advanced neurosurgical care for complex conditions.
Clinical programs including advanced technology/procedures
- EEG monitoring (continuous video electroencephalogram)
- Vagal nerve stimulator (VNS)
- Ketogenic Diet Program
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Neurological exam
- Placement of intracranial electrodes for seizure monitoring (SEEG)
- Blood tests to check for infections or genetic conditions
- Routine and Video EEG
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Neuropsychological tests
Epilepsy Surgery Program
- Temporal lobectomy and Amygdallohippocampectomy
- Extratemporal resections
- Functional Hemispherotomy
- Corpus callosotomy
- Multiple subpial transections (MST)
Learn more about the symptoms and causes of epilepsy and seizures.