We Care About the Two of You
Mother and baby should be mutually cared for, and the Maternal Fetal Center was fashioned with the two of you in mind. Specialized treatment tailored to your individual needs helps ensure your pregnancy results in the safest delivery and best outcomes.
Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists work in tandem with your obstetrician or family practitioner and birthing center to walk you through any unfamiliar turn of events. From conducting routine tests for low-risk or high-risk cases, our maternal-fetal medicine specialists work closely with you, your doctor and other caregivers to minimize medical complications during pregnancy.
Screenings and Diagnostic Testing Offered
Depending on risk factors such as age, weight, family history, pregnancy with multiples or results from your routine physical exams, prenatal screenings might be needed to get more detail about the health and condition of your baby.
- Non-invasive procedures through high resolution 2D or 3D ultrasound or maternal blood tests
- In first trimester, a nuchal translucency ultrasound examines the back of the baby’s neck for increased fluid or thickening
- A mid trimester ultrasound examines the baby’s anatomy for birth defects
- Blood tests taken in the first and mid trimester measure specific substances in the blood that can also indicate chromosomal abnormalities
Based on screening results, diagnostic genetic testing can confirm or rule out health issues.
- Amniocentesis – samples of amniotic fluid taken
- Chorionic Villus Sampling – cells from the placenta taken
- Samples are examined to check the baby’s chromosomes and test for genetic diseases
Partnership with Saint Agnes Medical Center
In the event hospitalization becomes necessary prior to your anticipated due date, you will be admitted to the Saint Agnes Medical Center, Fresno antepartum unit (APU), to be monitored by our skilled team of maternal-fetal medicine specialists. In addition to taking care of you, they also care for your baby before and after birth, collaborating with other newborn care subspecialists as needed to monitor and treat your developing baby.
No matter what lies ahead, your family will not have to navigate the journey alone.