Valley Children's Child Life Internship Program
Due to the ongoing pandemic, we will not be accepting an internship into our Child Life Department until further notice. If you have submitted an application from Fall 2019 through now, we will keep your application until the next open application period for our department. If you are still interested in an internship at that time, you will need to submit any updated resumes or materials.
The internship program at Valley Children’s Hospital is offered during the spring and fall semesters and meets the requirements of the Child Life Council of 600 hours. Interns are paired with a Certified Child Life Specialist who provides supervised and guided experiences with children while supporting the development of professional child life skills. Of the 600 Child Life hours, a minimum will consist of 2 rotations that are at least 6 weeks (240 hours) in length with one clinical rotation supervisor per rotation; the remaining 3 weeks (120 hours) will be completed as deemed appropriate.
- Completed coursework in Child Life, Child Development or related fields with a minimum of 10 related courses verified by the ACLP
- Minimum of 100 hours of experience with children and families in a non-healthcare setting (i.e., daycare, school)
- Minimum of 100 hours of fieldwork or volunteer experience in a hospital setting, preferably a Child Life Practicum
- Enrollment in a graduate program in a college or university. The internship must be part of the school’s curriculum
- Participate in an in-person interview
All interested applicants should complete and submit:
- Completed Common Child Life Internship Application from ACLP (including verification forms as applicable)
- Two current (within the past year) sealed letters of recommendation from individuals who have directly supervised or observed applicant’s work with children and families and/or academic work
- Copy of ACLP Eligibility Assessment Report
- A current resume and cover letter
- A one-page outline of goals for the internship
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Proof of current enrollment in a college or university (letter from professor verifying internship course needed for program)
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Deadlines for applications are available on the Association of Child Life Professionals website: www.childlife.org.
You can send the application packet to:
Valley Children’s Hospital
Attn: Marisa Ybarra-Reyes - GE02
9300 Valley Children’s Place
Madera, CA 93636
* Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.