Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory offers all currently available pediatric diagnostic and interventional procedures for infants, children and adolescents with congenital and acquired heart disease. With advanced endovascular therapeutics, the physicians in the ‘cath lab’ can now close a hole in a child’s heart through a 1/8 inch skin puncture.
The Cath Lab features fully digital and completely computerized equipment, making it one of the most technologically advanced laboratories in the United States. Digital images are archived as well as maintained on-line for immediate multi-user, simultaneous viewing at The Willson Heart Center’s cardiology and surgery offices.
Our expertise falls into two areas, diagnostic and therapeutic. Diagnostically, we provide further results and information on issues raised from clinical examination and noninvasive testing. Therapeutic Catheterization allows us to perform interventions that previously would have required open heart surgery, including relieving aortic and pulmonary valve obstructions or blockages (valvuloplasties), Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) closures (30-40 procedures a year), Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) closures, Patent Ductus Arteriosus closures and embolizing abnormal blood vessels.
The Lab participates in ongoing clinical trials including the Phase II FDA trial for the Nit-Occlud Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) occlusion device and the Amplatzer High-Risk Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) closures. Currently we are enrolling patients for both the ASD and VSD occlusion post-market clinical trials. In addition, we are actively involved in data sharing and outcomes research including MAGIC congenital heart disease catheterization database for interventional outcome studies, and the Congenital Cardiovascular Interventional Study Consortium (CCISC).
Services Offered and Conditions Treated
- Providing further anatomic detail and heart function information on issues raised from clinical examination and noninvasive testing.
- Myocardial biopsy
- Therapeutic Catheterization:
- Relieving valve obstructions or blockages (valvuloplasties)
- Working to close septal defects:
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus closures
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) closures (30-40 procedures a year)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) closures
- Embolizing abnormal blood vessels
- Angioplasties and stents
- Pulmonary artery obstruction
- Aortic obstruction
- Valley Children's Hospital's Cath Lab participates in important post-market studies performing Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) and Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) closures. More information is available on Clinical Trials from the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
Physician Referral Guidelines
Pediatric Cardiology Referral Guidelines
Data Sharing and Outcomes Research
- MAGIC congenital heart disease catheterization database for interventional outcome studies.
- Congenital Cardiovascular Interventional Study Consortium (CCISC).