The Pharmacy Department at Children’s Hospital Central California utilizes evidence-based therapeutic guidelines and emerging technologies to provide excellent pharmaceutical care to patients. Our highly trained pharmacists work side-by-side with physicians and nurses to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Our pharmacists are readily available at the bedside or by phone 24 hours a day.
- Evaluate each patient’s drug regimen
- Maintain accurate patient medication profile
- Review patient drug regimen for any potential drug interactions, interferences or incompatibilities
- Interpret and verify each drug order for each patient
- Provide drug information to health professionals and patients
- Recommend appropriate drug therapy
- Patient specific, unit of use concept for drug distribution
- Bar code technology to support the 5 Rights of medication administration
- Standardized dosing for more than 100 drugs
- Extemporaneous oral preparations for non-commercially available liquids
- Advanced Training
- Many of our pharmacists hold Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degrees and have completed pharmacy residencies and fellowships or are board certified.
- Pharmacists with specialized training in areas such as oncology, pharmacotherapy, pediatric intensive care, neonatal intensive care, ambulatory care and general pediatrics.
Children’s utilizes state-of-the-art technology to ensure patient safety and minimize opportunity for human error.
- A fully automated robotic system that aids in the dispensing of medication utilizing bar code technology for the inpatient population.
- Bedside Medication Verification system where nurses use a computer tablet to scan medications and patients prior to administering drugs. Each dose is automatically logged in the patient’s electronic medication administration record.
- An automated medication dispensing machine network enables nurses to access medications on demand reducing drug wait time without compromising patient safety.
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) Compounder utilizing state-of-the-art technology to accurately mix TPN solutions minimizing medication errors and improving patient safety.
- Computerized prescription writer that allows physicians to use a computer program to access a patient’s current medications, allergies and potential drug interactions. Prescriptions are sent electronically to the pharmacy or printed on tamper resistant paper, doing away with illegible writing.
Patient Safety Initiatives
- Maximum use of bar code technology
- Unit of use concept
- Use of “Tall Man” lettering on signage and packaging to prevent look-a-like, sound-a-like drug errors
- Medication reconciliation
- Computerized physician order entry
- Elimination of use of unapproved abbreviations
- Drug recall notifications
- Pharmacy Interventions: 42,273 (2008)
- Doses Dispensed: 1.2 million (2008)
- Inpatient Pharmacy: Called the Central Pharmacy, the inpatient pharmacy dispenses and prepares the vast majority of the medications for our patients. Pharmacists review drug orders and are available for drug information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Intensive Care Pharmacy: Located on the second floor, the ICU pharmacy serves the PICU and NICU. Our ICU pharmacists produce most of the acute or “first doses” for our critically ill patients.
- Oncology Pharmacy: Located in the Craycroft Cancer Center, the Oncology pharmacy primarily prepares chemotherapy medications.
- Garden Pharmacy: Located on the Garden level near the Starship Apollo and Starship Discovery Inpatient Units, pharmacists are available to provide clinical services rounding with medical teams.
- Starship Explorer Pharmacy: Located on the First level, the Explorer pharmacy serves both Starship Explorer and Starship Voyager Inpatient Units. Pharmacists are available to provide clinical services rounding with medical teams.
Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative
Children's was featured on the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative website as a Practice Spotlight
Phone: (559) 353-5500
Walgreens Pharmacy on Campus
Children’s Hospital Central California has partnered with Walgreens Pharmacy to serve your prescription, health and wellness products and health information needs. The Walgreens Pharmacy is a full-service retail pharmacy for our patient families, employees and the general public. Located on the first floor of the Medical Office Building, it provides convenient access to our team of experienced pharmacists.
- Confidential one-on-one patient counseling
- Flexible refill options
- Flexible prescription pick up at Children’s or more than 6,600 Walgreen retail locations nationwide
- Extemporaneous compounding of oral medications
- Flavor liquid medications
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
41169 Goodwin Way
Madera, CA 93636
Phone: (559) 353-6300
Fax: (559) 353-6308