Pharmacy Fellow (PGY2)
Children's Hospital Central California offers a one-year-long intensive care fellowship designed to provide the pharmacist with training in the focused area of critical care pediatric clinical pharmacy. In addition to gaining a comprehensive understanding of the global aspects of pharmaceutical care in the ICU, the fellowship also emphasizes an intensive research project. For this component, the fellow will work closely with the intensive care physicians to develop and complete a research study suitable for presentation and publication.
Period of Appointment: Twelve months
Health Benefits: Fellow entitled to full health benefits. Plans to be selected upon arrival.
Weekend Staffing: Fellow required to staff every other weekend once distribution training is complete.
Responsibilities Include (but not limited to):
- Attend intensive care unit rounds and provide drug information.
- Identify a research project related to intensive care, propose it to the hospital Investigational Review Board, carry out the study, and ultimately present the study.
- Actively participate in ongoing intensive care research studies as well as any studies initiated during the fellowship.
- Assist in pharmacy and therapeutics activities that relate to intensive care therapeutics.
- Provide distributive support (staffing and dispensing)
- Distribution/Staffing (required)
- Neonatal Intensive Care (required)
- Pediatric Intensive Care (required)
- Administration (required)
- Poison Center (elective)
- Emergency Department (elective)
- Infectious Diseases (elective)
Application Requirements (due before the 2nd Monday of January):
- At least one year of hospital pharmacy experience is preferred and/or a residency with a pediatric emphasis.
- Must have a California State Board of Pharmacy License (or obtain license within two months of starting fellowship).
- Completed application for employment (available online)
- Letter of Intent
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official school of pharmacy transcripts
- Be available for interview (January/February)
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
Pharmacy Fellow (PGY2) for 2014-2015
Dr. Joanna Cheung was born and raised in British Columbia, Canada. She completed her Masters Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from McGill University and worked as a pediatric dietitian in Washington D.C. before deciding to go back to pharmacy school. In 2014, she earned her Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from Touro University California. She recently completed her PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency here at Valley Children’s Hospital. Her professional interests include nutrition support, oncology and pharmacy education. In her spare time, Dr. Cheung enjoys spending time outdoors, dragon boating, hiking and cheering on her hometown hockey team. She feels lucky to be able to play a part in a child’s life every day and work with a team that is so passionate about pediatrics. Dr. Cheung is sincerely grateful for the endless love and support from her family, friends and mentors and she is excited to be back at Valley Children’s Hospital for her PGY-2.
Questions regarding the programs can be directed to:
Wenee Liu Lopez, Pharm.D.
Pharmacy Residency Director
Pharmacy Student Coordinator
Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist
(559) 353 5522
(559) 353 5515 (fax)